Thursday, April 9, 2009

10 Reasons Why You Should Talk To Your Kids About SEX!!!



I cannot believe that in the 21st century parents are still afraid to talk about sex. Worse, most of us remember not receiving enough information and the trouble that got us into. I am shocked at the number of parents who really forget what it was like to be young dumb and excited and not know why?

I am the mother of a 16 year old son that I am very proud of. My parents gave me little to know information about sex. They were strict and when my hormones began raging I went to friends who knew less than I knew but made it up along the way. I had sex at 16 and really believed foolishness like if you had sex standing up you couldn't get pregnant. Well I got pregnant at 16.

That let me know that the sex talk would not just be a talk but it would be a life sharing experience that we would have on a continuous basis throughout his life.

I am happy to say that I have a well informed child who communicates things to me that would shock most parents. One time right before he turned 10, he asked me what does sodomy mean. This was even a lot for me, but I also realized that I had to tell him the truth because asking me meant that he had already heard something. Imagine him in the school yard and someone asks him, "Hey kid, you ever been sodomized." Not knowing any better and too embarrassed to say that he has no clue what that means (as most kids are) he answers, "yes." Now do you understand how important this is?

I have shared with him my ideal and I have also shared with him what to do in a realistic situation. He says that he is not having sex and I believe him but I have still let him know where he can find the condoms and have provided him with a young adult that I trust to talk to if he runs into trouble. I am very proud of him. So hear we go.




  1. What you don't tell your child, somebody else will and the information being circulated is from people who have no clue either.


  2. They know more than you think they know. We are living in a technological age and they have instant access to information.


  3. When you make things taboo, you make it that much more exciting. Children like to rebel, it is part of their natural instinct as they navigate becoming adults to do what we don't want them to do.


  4. It will create a special bond between your child and yourself. There will now be nothing that they cannot come to you about. Also realize the sex talk is not just about the act of having sex but what comes before that and after. Talk about relationships and what to expect. Talk about feelings and responsibility. Talk about body parts. Talk about the ideal relationship and what that feels like. Discuss your morals. Show them the consequences of being irresponsible. Show them what STD's look like. Take them to see teenage mothers whose dreams have been deferred. Just keep talking and showing.


  5. These discussions will keep you informed with the stages your child is going through. They will also force you to remember who you were at that stage of your life.


  6. If you are afraid to talk to them, trust that they are also afraid to talk to you. If they cannot confide in you then, really what kind of parenting are you really doing.


  7. Talking to them about sex will make them stronger and wiser when faced with temptation. Especially young women, they go into situations unprepared and feel trapped. Information will give them courage and they will learn how to spot deception.


  8. Sexually transmitted diseases are more real than they have ever been. If it were up to me, my child would remain a virgin until retirement but I know that we are sexual creatures and as we mature so do our feelings and desires. Yes our children have desires, didn't you!


  9. There are many people out there ready to use your children's naivete's against them. We cannot afford for our children to live in a bubble because eventually the bubble will bust and they will be in uncharted territory.


  10. Not talking about it does not mean that it is not happening. Let me get graphic. My son told me that some girls that he knows are giving "Rainblows" Let me explain; 1 boy, many girls each with a different shade of lipstick trying to reach the top of the boys shaft. Whoever gets the closest wins. Trust, this is definitely lack of information and along with lack of information comes lack of self-esteem.


BONUS. Parents it is time to stand up and stop being punks. At the root of all your concerns is fear and I am more afraid of the consequences associated with not gifting my child with usable knowledge.

No comments: